Opportunities to leapfrog in Emerging Markets
by David Lashbrook, CFA
Having personally experienced how the mobile telephone has transformed communications and enabled business in Africa, I wonder if the combination of poor existing infrastructure and technological advancement could transform the retail sector in emerging markets. Just as Kenya-based Safaricom has led the world in mobile money transfers, I wonder if there is an opportunity for Africa to pioneer retail delivery via drone.
- The Coronavirus continues to occupy major news headlines and investor sentiment
- The US impeachment saga ended on Wednesday as the Senate voted to acquit President Trump
- Brent crude fell 6.3% ending the week at $54.5 a barrel
- Gold fell 1.2% ending the week at $1570.4 an ounce
Unknown unknowns: the coronavirus
by Michael Clough
When we talk about risks to our investment outlook, we always warn of the threat of ‘unknown unknowns’, events that come seemingly out of nowhere that can’t be predicted or planned for. All we know is at some point they will arise. As all readers will be aware, two have already arisen in the early stages of 2020, firstly with the tragic incident in Iran when a civilian plane was shot down and secondly with the outbreak of the new coronavirus in China. Understandably, we have received numerous queries from clients, notably on the latter, and this Global Matters Weekly seeks to clarify our current stance on recent events.
- The UK departed from the European Union on Friday, after more than 47 years of membership
- Global markets continued to fall as the coronavirus concerns dominated sentiment
- Brent crude fell 4.2% ending the week at $58.2 a barrel
- Gold rose 1.1% ending the week at $1589.2 an ounce