by Lorenzo La Posta, CFA
Now, everyone loves a free meal but certainly you’re not going to eat it only because it’s free, am I right?
- Global equities fell -4.7% last week
- Risk markets across the world saw declines amidst inflation and interest rate concerns
- Brent crude rose +2.1% to $87.9 a barrel
- Gold increased by +1% to $1835.4
Making money in bonds
by Richard Stutley, CFA
Last year, US Treasuries suffered one of their worst years this century
- Global equities fell -0.1% last week
- US inflation hit 7% in December as prices climbed at rates unseen for decades
- Brent crude returned 5.3% over the week to $86.1 a barrel
- Gold returned 1.2% to $1817.9 per ounce
Two years ago, news began to emerge of a cluster of a pneumonia type sickness in China, soon to be identified as a novel coronavirus.
Turning the corner?
by Stephen Nguyen, CFA
As we enter the third year of the COVID-19 pandemic, uncertainty remains elevated in financial markets
- Global equities fell -1.7% last week
- Fed officials mulled earlier and faster rate hikes than expected due to rising inflation
- Brent crude rallied 5.1% over the week to $81.8 a barrel,
the third consecutive weekly gain
- Gold declined -1.8% to $1796.6 per ounce