Love Actually? Disappointment, actually
by Lorenzo La Posta, CFA — Portfolio Manager
— At times great companies might not be great investments
A few weeks ago, during the Christmas period, I treated myself to the ideal night in. I was sat on my comfy sofa, blanket on my legs, my girlfriend by my side, hot chocolate in one hand, and TV remote in the other. The lights from the Christmas tree were too bright to enjoy a proper televised experience, but that didn’t bother me.
- Global equities fell 1.3% last week
- Three Unidentified Flying Objects were downed over North America
- Brent crude rose 8.1% last week to $86.39 a barrel
- Gold was flat at $1865.57 per ounce last week
Following a bruising year for investors in 2022, markets opened 2023 in much better spirits. Nearly all the major asset classes enjoyed strong returns, with global equities up over 7% in dollar terms in January, global bonds by close to 3%, corporate and emerging market bonds outperforming governments, and gold up almost 6%. Commodities were generally more subdued, with the oil price declining by 2%, taking it 7% lower than a year earlier, a dramatic turnaround from its steep rise in the early months of 2022.
AI: is your job safe?
by Jackson Franks — Analyst
— To see if AI has the ability to take my job, I put this to the test and asked ChatGPT to write my blog.
Artificial Intelligence, otherwise known as AI, is becoming ever more prominent in our day-to-day lives, both personally and at work. The market size of AI is gaining momentum. According to Precedence Research, the global AI market size was estimated at USD 119.78bn in 2022 and it is expected to be USD 1,597.1bn by 2030, with a forecast Compound Annual Growth Rate (CAGR) of 38.1% from 2022 to 20301. So, what’s driving this growth?
- Global equities returned 1.3% last week
- Most major developed indices saw positive gains last week on the back of decent US Q4 earning reports and upside surprises in economic data
- Brent crude fell 7.8% last week to $79.9 per barrel
- Gold fell 3.3% last week to $1864.97 per ounce